top of page


Serve as a resource and collaborate with treatment teams and community organizations to identify and support opportunities for housing and supportive services, reduce a client’s risk of homelessness, remove barriers to access and promote retention in stable housing.


  • Collaborate with treatment teams for retention of current housing

  • Coordinate and process supportive services for clients at high risk for homelessness

  • Monitor facilities

  • Provide training

  • Mentoring of housing partners

Enhanced Adult Residential Facilities: These facilities are homelike environments that are generally used as a step down from state hospital, MHRC/IMD, acute hospital and crisis residential or a step up from unenhanced B&C Homes and serves lower functioning clients who are less active in recovery and/or require prompting for services. MH services are not provided on site though transportation to services and CFLC services are provided. In addition, a daily outing is provided at each facility.

Non-Enhanced Licensed Adult Residential Facilities: Non-Enhanced Licensed Adult Residential Facilities (ARF) are facilities of any capacity that provide 24-hour non-medical care for adults ages 18 through 59, who are unable to provide for their own daily needs. Adults may be physically handicapped, developmentally disabled, and/or mentally disabled. There are over 100 licensed ARFs in Kern County; however not all serve the mentally ill.

Residential Care for the Elderly (RCFE):  These facilities are state licensed, homelike environments that offer adult behavioral health clients through a 24- hour a day structured community living that supports a sober lifestyle. These facilities provide services to persons 60 years of age and over and persons under 60 with comparable needs.  RCFEs may also be known as assisted living facilities, retirement homes, and board and care homes. The facilities can range in size from six beds to over 100 beds.

Unlicensed Sober Living Environments (SLE): These facilities are homelike environments that offer adult behavioral health clients a 24-hours a day, supervision and structured community living environment that supports a clean and sober lifestyle free from the use of illicit drugs and alcohol.

Unlicensed Transitional Sober Living Environments (TSLE): These facilities are homelike environments that offer adult behavioral health clients a less structured environment, may or may not have 24-hours a day supervision and structure. Residents accepted to these types of housing should have already completed a more structured Sober Living Environment’s requirements, and have been approved by the SLE, Treatment Team, Probation, Parole, or Sheriff’s department to transition. Unlicensed Transitional Sober Living Environments are a less structured homelike community living environment that supports a substance free lifestyle and considered a "step-down" from a Sober Living Environment. Applicants should have employment, or stable income.

Unlicensed Room & Boards: These facilities are not licensed or certified by any state or local agencies. The facilities are homelike environments that offer adult mental health clients and supervised group living experience. KCMH currently links clients with approximately 30 homes ranging from 1-21 beds, usually 2 persons/room. Estimated current total capacity is 277 persons.

Housing provider list with hands holding home

Becoming a Provider:

If you would like to learn more about the Quality Standards Program and are interested in Becoming a provider. Please reference the Quality Standards Program Manual below.


Quality Standards Program

After reviewing the Quality Standards Program Manual. Please complete items 1 through 5 below and email them to 


  1. Quality Standards Program Application

  2. Acknowledgment Form

  3. Purpose and Intention Form

  4. Treatment Team Notification Agreement

  5. Ethics Agreement


Quality Standards Program Orientation

Orientations to the Quality Standards Program are held every third Thursday of the month, at Kern Behavioral Health and Recovery Services, Kern Linkage Program 2525 North Chester Avenue by appointment. Please contact Housing Services to schedule an appointment.  (661) 868-1721


Additional Documents


Bakersfield City Planning Department

1715 Chester Avenue. Bakersfield, CA 93301-5210

(661) 326-3733



Kern County Planning and Natural Resources Department

2700 M Street. Bakersfield, CA 93301-2370

(661) 862-8600


If you already have a facility address, you can take the CUP Verification Form to the City or County agency that has zoning jurisdiction for the property address, request they complete and sign the CUP Verification Form identifying the need for a CUP or the maximum capacity allowed by the agency's zoning rules without a Conditional Use Permit. Once completed, please email the form to

Housing header with hands holding home

The Kern Behavioral Health & Recovery Services Housing Services Team serves as liaison within the system of care, community-based organizations, providers and partner agencies to support placement of clients into safe, stable, recovery-oriented and supportive housing.

bottom of page