top of page
Happy family around laptop

The Children’s System of Care provides mental helath and substance use services and resources to children experiencing behavioral health problems, which may lead to disruptions at home, school or in the community. The goal of treatment is

to restore hope and healing with each child and their family.

Find Children's Services Near You

Use the map below to find service locations near you. You can use the search bar and search by radius. Click on the location for more information and directions.

Access to Services

The Children’s System of Care, including contracted Medi-cal providers, provides mental health and substance abuse services and resources necessary to promote wellness and recovery for Kern County children and their families. Families will meet with a behavioral health professional who will provide options that will best support the child and their family. All services are client-centered, racially and culturally appropriate, flexible, with a focus on individual/family’s strengths, to promote positive peer and professional relationships, and incorporate each individual/family’s natural support system within the treatment process.  

Services may include, but are  not limited to:

  • Mental health and diagnostic assessments

  • Individual and/or therapy

  • School-based rehabilitation services

  • Crisis intervention services

  • Case management

  • Community-based services

  • Skill building

  • CSEC (Commercially Sexually Exploited Children) Services

  • Therapeutic behavioral services

  • Substance use treatment 

  • Psychiatric evaluation and medication management



Referrals and coordinated care with other agencies and resources

If you need immediate care for a child,

contact our 24-HOUR CRISIS HOTLINE at 1-800-991-5272

Help Me Grow Kern

Kern Behavioral Health & Recovery Services is proud to work with First 5 Kern on its Help Me Grow Kern program. It aims to increase developmental screenings for children across Kern County as well as provide linkage to needed services in our community.

Click here for more information or visit


Presumptive Transfer
(AB 1299)

Request for services for
Out of County Foster Care Youth

Non-Kern County Foster Youth that are placed in Kern County by another County (of Jurisdiction) may access specialty mental health services through the request for a Presumptive Transfer.  


Placing Agency for the County of Jurisdiction should submit their request of Presumptive Transfer within (3) business days of the decision to place a foster youth outside of the County of Jurisdiction.


Presumptive Transfer may be requested by Placing Agency by contacting Kern BHRS Care Coordination Unit Desk at (661) 635-1340 or at cell phone number at (661) 410-9772 or by email at

Click Here for the AB 1299 Form


*Presumptive Transfer: 

Assembly Bill 1299 (Ridley-Thomas, Chapter 603, Statutes 2016) established Presumptive Transfer, a policy to improve the timely and effective provision and payment of specialty mental health services to children in foster care who are placed outside of their counties of jurisdiction by transferring the responsibility for the provision and payment of specialty mental health services to the county of residence.  Discussions regarding presumptive transfer should occur with the child and his or her parent, with the Child and Family Team (CFT) members, and in consultation with other professionals who serve the child or youth and be based on meeting the child’s needs as appropriate.

bottom of page